Ever been too lazy to get off the couch and get a beer? Or are you looking for a new way to impress your buddies? These instructions will show you how to train your pooch to fetch a beer (or any other drink) from the fridge.
- Tie a rope or a towel to the door of your fridge. If you have a tug toy that your dog likes, this would work as well. You can also wrap a treat inside the towel to make it more enticing.
- With your dog next to you, say “Get me a beer” or whatever command you have chosen for this action. Encourage your dog to bite on the towel. Give praise and a treat every time your dog bites the towel on your command.
- Say “Get me a beer” and encourage your dog to pull on the towel. Give praise and a treat every time your dog pulls the fridge open.
Grabbing the Beer
- Empty a beer can and play fetch with it. If necessary, wrap something around the can so the dog can grab it more easily.
- Put the beer can on the lowest shelf of the fridge so that your dog can reach it. It helps to clear out any stuff around it.
- Put something against the fridge door so that it stays open without you having to hold it.
- Near the fridge, point to the beer can and tell your dog to “fetch”. If your dog doesn’t understand, as you give the command pick up the beer and place it in the dog’s mouth.
- Give your dog praise. Give the “drop” command so that she drops the can into your hand. Give praise and a treat. Repeat until your dog can pick up a beer can and put it on your hand using only verbal commands.
- Move further away from the fridge and repeat. Keep moving a little further away until you’re sitting on your living room couch in front of the TV, or wherever you’ll often be when you command your dog to fetch the beer.
Closing the Fridge
- Open the fridge door slightly.
- Dangle a treat so that your dog gets up on his hind legs and leans with his front paws against the door. This will close the door. Say “Close it” when you’re doing this, and reward your dog when he puts his paws on the door.
- Move further away, leaving the fridge open. Tell your dog to “Close it”. Reward your dog whenever he closes the fridge.
Putting It All Together
- Stand close to the fridge. Ask your dog to “Get me a beer”. He should now be comfortable opening the fridge door. While the fridge door is open, tell the dog to “fetch”.
- Have him put the beer in your hand and reward him.
- Repeat the previous step, but this time say “Close it” after he grabs the can and reward him profusely after he’s brought you the beer.
- Move a little further away and say “Get me a beer”. Your dog should open the fridge door but if he forgets to, just grab the beer or close the fridge, and remind him verbally.
- Reward him when he brings you the beer (having done everything he was expected to do). Keep doing this and eventually most dogs will complete all of the tasks with a single command: “Get me a beer”.